Please come and join your fellow club members for an outing to HEX 4×4 Trail.
Winter is upon us and this is the time for the manne (this is a Guys only outing) to get together for an outing.
This route is not open to the public, but through all the years we have build a good relationship with the farmer. For this reason we can go back there and enjoy the beauty of that part of the Karoo. The trail is approximately 160 km from Cape Town.
It could be cold so please make sure that you have what it take to make it through the night.
Make sure that you bring enough to eat and drink. There is ablutions in the camp site.
Photo’s from our previous visit.
DATE: Saturday, 28 July 2018
PLACE: Worcester Shell Ultra City East [S33.63368 E19.35885]
We will meet at Ultra City. Enjoy a nice breakfast, do some formalities and depart for Hex Rivier trail. See map below.
On arrival, set up camp quickly and depart for the first section of this trail which leads to the look-out point on the other side towards Matroosberg. Remember to pack some lunch.
The second section of this trail awaits, this is called “The men and the boys”.
We return to the camp, make a BIG fire and sit with some red or cold beer, enjoy a braai and listen to all the stories of the day.
On Sunday after an “earlyish” breakfast we will leave camp to complete the last section of this trail, called the “J-section”. We should be finished by approximately 12h30, return to camp to pack up and leave for home. You should be back in town by 17h00.
The trail is graded 3 to 4.
WHAT TO BRING:
- A well-prepared vehicle! Make sure you bring some recovery equipment, just in case!!
- Lunch for the day on the trail.
- 2 x BAGS of wood per car for Saturday night.
- There are no chalets, so a tent to sleep in it is with warm blankets.
In order to ensure a spot and assist with logistical arrangements please RSVP by 30 June 2018.
- Always consider the possibility of rain. Pack clothing accordingly.
- Always advisable to wear comfortable closed shoes or boots.
- Advisable to have a broad rim hat and sun block on hand.
- Use tie-down straps to secure all items packed, as loose items can become missiles.
- No pets allowed
- Low Range is required.
- All vehicles must be in sound mechanical condition.
- Always have your spare keys with you.
- Recovery points. Make sure that you have some recovery equipment with you (your own Kinetic/recovery strap and 2 x shackles, etc).
- A tyre pump and tyre pressure gauge will be required to deflate/inflate tyres.
- Carry a fire extinguisher, which is easily accessible in the event of an emergency.
- Always carry your personal medical kit. Pack where accessible.
TWO WAY RADIOS: (VHF Only)
Communication between participating vehicles on any 4×4 excursion is important for many reasons. It contributes towards the safety of drivers, passengers and vehicles while on a 4×4 trail, where drivers can communicate with one another as regards to their location and situation not to mention the interesting information that is shared with participants. The fun part is the many interesting stories that are shared among participants.
For those who have not got a VHF Radio with the ORRA Channels the Club has radios available for hire. Contact Jimmy Niemann email@example.com in this regard, well in advance please.
R200 for trail and camping. Please bring cash to pay the trail owner directly (No payment into club account).
Somebody from the group will be requested to write a short trip report for the website and our Facebook page, and please include some pictures.
BOOKING AND PAYMENT CONDITIONS:
Please book with Gerard Buitenhuis (firstname.lastname@example.org) 083 757 3478
All bookings must be confirmed for by 30 JUNE 2018.